Lithium has been quite hot this year and the juniors in the sector have ripped. Do I think it is the flavor of the day so to speak? Yes. I am not a long term investor with much money exposed to Lithium plays. However, there is more room to run before implosion, which might be later this year but…not yet. To the contrary, all of the lithium junior stock charts are perfectly setting up for a fresh run to new highs starting as soon as this week potentially. Premium GIL members caught the low risk set up in Lithium X Corp (LIX.V/LIXXF) in March. I recommended it at $1.15 on LIX.V and we flipped it in the high $1’s in just over a week for a 60% plus profit.
LIX.V is one of the more liquid/established/well backed plays out there. If you can buy a position up to $2.10 CDN or $1.65 on LIXXF, go for it. This could be good for 30-40% in the next 2-3 weeks as LIX.V tests previous highs and/or breaks to new highs in the high $2’s-$3 per share. It is a good set up right here because it has had a 4 week consolidation, RSI has cooled, and MACD is about to turn up. Give stop limits a little room and to be more conservative, buy half now and add another half at $1.65-$1.80 if it has another week consolidating. I doubt it, but it could.
Another strategy is to buy here while the uptrend is intact (upward slanted blue line on the chart below….needs to close above this to keep its perfect uptrend in place) but stop out if it goes below the rising blue line, OR if it breaks the 50 day moving average. Personally, I added half on Friday and will add another chunk if it pulls back 15-25 cents early this week. If it falls below the 50 DMA, I’ll stop out of the trade altogether for a small loss.
Same goes for Lithium Americas Corp (LAC.TO/LACDF) which is established and liquid. Buy up to 75-77 cents on LAC and 60-62 on LACDF. The sector will move together more or less but these two are the top juniors in the space. Another run is very likely coming, I just don’t know if it’s this week (70% chance), next week (20%) or (10%) that I’m wrong on it altogether!!
On LAC you can use where the straight line and 50 day moving average converges as strong support. If it were to break and close below both, I would sell it. However, I bought a 2/3 position on Friday and would add the last 1/3 if we see the slight pullback early this week to the mid-high .60’s.
MACD is still above zero on LAC/LIX and are likely about to turn up. If/when the green lines at the bottom right on the charts break through the red lines that is when the breakouts will begin to accelerate. We should see a 30% plus move on LAC as its first stop will be retesting the $1 previous high. For me, I’ll probably sell half of the positions when both stocks are testing previous highs, which should provide some resistance. I think they will break into new high territory but because these are trading positions for me, I am not interested in being greedy. There is 30% plus on the table realistically within a few weeks, which isn’t bad!!
I also tried to dig up a “tiny cap” Lithium play that has the potential to provide even more significant upside than LIX/LAC. I ended up finding a very sweet looking chart in Ultra Lithium (ULI.V/ULTXF). This one is thinly traded so be careful. But if the Lithium sector as a whole turns higher as I predict, this one could double or triple pretty quick. It’s at 25 cents and 50 cents would be my guess as an easy target.
I’m not bothering to get into the fundamentals of each company or the Lithium space. Why? Because it doesn’t matter. The sector is rising on market momentum and excitement at the moment and all companies involved in Lithium have been running in 2016. I understand the basic bullish premise about the scarcity of Lithium and Tesla as a market driver. However, after the run will come a crash, as happens with every move similar to this one.
The action reminds me of graphite stocks in 2012 and rare earth plays in 2010-11. I’m all for taking some money out of the run but I have not dug deep enough to be compelled to get heavily involved in Lithium. My picks today are exclusively based on technical action, which is still very bullish. Markets like this that end up generating lots of momentum and hype, can keep going for a while. I don’t think they are done yet, thus my bet on a fresh leg higher.
I am long LAC, LIX, and ULI. I may buy more or sell at any time without notice.
For updates on LIX, LAC, ULI and unique ideas on individual mining stocks, please sign up for our free newsletter below.
Legal Disclaimer: I am offering ideas for your consideration and education. I am not offering financial advice. I am not a financial or investment advisor and am acting in the sole capacity of a newsletter writer. I am a fellow investor and trader sharing his thoughts for educational and informational purposes only. This publication is a 100% subscriber supported. No compensation is received by the author from any of the companies mentioned for the recommendation of a stock in this service (if this changes or there is exception-it will be clearly disclosed to our readers). Opinions and analyses were based on data available to authors of respective essays at the time of writing. Although the information provided on the Website is based on careful research and sources that are believed to be accurate, Mr. Muschinski does not guarantee the accuracy or thoroughness of the data or information reported. The opinions published on the Website belong to Mr. Muschinski or respective associates and are neither an offer nor a recommendation to purchase or sell securities. Mr. Muschinski does not recommend services, products, business or investment in any company mentioned in any of his essays or reports. Materials published on the Website have been prepared for your private use and their sole purpose is to educate readers about various investments. By reading Mr. Muschinski’s essays or reports you fully agree that he will not be held responsible or liable for any decisions you make regarding any information provided in these essays or reports. Investing, trading and speculation in any financial markets may involve high risk of loss. We strongly advise that you consult a certified investment advisor and we encourage you to do your own research before making any investment decision. Mr. Muschinski, Gold Investment Letter’s employees and affiliates, as well as members of their families, may have a short or long position in any securities, including those mentioned in any of the reports or essays, and may make additional purchases and/or sales of those securities without notice.